[IPython-dev] Some new cell types for describing data analyses in IPy. Notebook

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Wed Jul 10 14:40:57 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM, Gabriel Becker <gmbecker at ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> That having been said, there is a far cry between git being the place that the devs think notebooks *should* live and not having notebooks in git being unsupported. I would argue building actual application features on git brings us pretty firmly into the latter category.

The approach I suggested depends only on one IPython feature: per-cell
meta-data.  I don't think that will go away any time soon.  The
solution is bolted on top, so it does not rely on any support inside
of IPython.  Also, you can then choose which configurations to run and
generate your output.  In the end, you'll still have to compare the
output somewhat manually (even though we can potentially track the
outputs via version control too, making things easier).

Stéfan