[IPython-dev] JavaScript docs...

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 02:38:36 EDT 2013

Just a couple of quick questions:

- is it possible to avoid all the * in the comments for the doc
generation machinery? Technically JS only needs the matching /* */
pair, so unless the doc tools need all the extra * on every line,
those could be skipped.

- it it OK to put the 'docstring' after the function declarations,
like in python?

If both of these were possible, we could have these JS 'docstrings'
looking like:

    var Notebook = function (selector, options) {
        /*
         A notebook contains and manages cells.

         @class Notebook

         @constructor

         @param {String} selector A jQuery selector for the notebook's
DOM element

         @param {Object} [options] A config object
        */
        var options = options || {};

instead of

    /**
     * A notebook contains and manages cells.
     *
     * @class Notebook
     * @constructor
     * @param {String} selector A jQuery selector for the notebook's DOM element
     * @param {Object} [options] A config object
     */
    var Notebook = function (selector, options) {

That seems quite a bit more python-like and readable to me...