[IPython-dev] Line-based frontends - architecture

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 18:40:41 EST 2013

On 7 February 2013 22:28, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think anything needs to be done at all.  The problems with
> detecting a "finished" block of code arises only in environments that
> are truly line oriented.  Browsers don't suffere from that limitation.

I think it's a question of the user interface, not the display technology.
If we want the same key to automatically do 'execute' or 'next line' as
appropriate, we need a way of distinguishing which to do. In the notebook,
we use shift-return/ctrl-return for execute, so it's not required. But for
a console interface, having return automatically execute or produce another
line is extremely convenient and intuitive.

Thomas