[IPython-dev] IPython authentication

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 01:09:13 EST 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM, Wojciech Daniło
<wojtek.danilo.ml at gmail.com>wrote:

> Benjamin thank you very much for yours answer! I'm very happy that all the
> things are implemented - I'm starting to test these things out :)
>
> If I could I owuld ask you additional 2, a little more precious questions:
> 1) Lets concider we have kernel K and clients A and B. If client A
> executes something on K, I would like K to send notification about it to B
> (broadcast to clients) - I think youre talking about something like that
> (or am I wrong?).

Yes, this is the `pyin` message. It is sent to all clients on the iopub
channel when an execute_request begins (prior to evaluating that request).

> 2) Additional when A or B executes a command on K it will run some
> functions from my batch python module. Is it possible that these functions
> will broadcast some customized messages to client with the functionality
> provided by Kernel?

Yes, if you modify the kernel.  You might be able to get away with just
registering a `post_execute_hook` in IPython.

> So basically is it possible to send to Kernel and from Kernel to clients
> customized messages with custom fields etc (extend the handling mechanizm)
> or should I implement this next to the IPython communication mechanism (I
> do not want to implement that next to it, because that is a little bit ugly
> ;) )

I would recommend trying to use the existing functionality as best you can.
 In general, you would use:

publisher = get_ipython().display_pub

and

publisher.publish("myapp", display_data)

That should let you publish fairly arbitrary data to the clients.