[IPython-dev] iPython binary wheels for OS-X

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Dec 9 11:40:32 EST 2013

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> Guido specifically did not want to have user
> installed packages able to overwrite stdlib behaviour.

makes some sense...

So, by policy, it's hard to override stdlib modules - even when they
> don't work right (which appears to be the issue with readline on OSX,
> if I understand the comments in this thread properly). IMO, we'd be a
> lot better off readline was split out of the stdlib so that things
> like improved OSX support and pyreadline for Windows could be added.
> But I doubt that will ever happen :-(

Maybe rather than overriding an stsdlib package, it could be given a new
name:

"readline2", or somethign more creative. This wouldn't allow you to install
and "fixed" one that would then automagically work everywhere, but would
allow 3rd party packages to depend on it. And, of course, it oculd be
imported conditionally:

try:
    import readline2 as readline
except:
    import readline

On the other hand, the current third party readline really is a replacement
for the (sometimes broken) built-in-readline, so maybe overwriting does
make sense in this case -- even though it should be discouraged in teh
general case.

Anyone know if the readline authors would be amenable to putting the
path-hack that's in iPyton in readline instead? That's clearly where it
belongs...(or is that impossible?, after all it would have to get imported
to run, and it wouldn't get imported......)

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov