[IPython-dev] Fwd: [SciTech] ActivePapers Python edition

Konrad Hinsen konrad.hinsen at fastmail.net
Fri Dec 6 02:29:19 EST 2013

Thomas Kluyver writes:

 > On 5 December 2013 09:13, Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen at fastmail.net> wrote:
 >
 >     One advantage of storing notebooks cells as ActivePapers calclets (and
 >     thus as HDF5 datasets) is the possibility to open any ActivePapers
 >     file as a notebook, even if it was generated in a different way.
 >
 > Do ActivePapers calclets have a notion of order? i.e. this should be run before
 > that?

Not directly. There is a dependency graph between calclets and
datasets, which implies a partial order. But there is no strict linear
order as for cells in a notebook.

BTW, that's related to one of the open questions I have with
integrating notebooks into ActivePapers: how to handle the case of a
notebook whose cells have been executed interactively in a different
order? This may well result in different datasets than a complete
linear execution, so the cell execution order needs to be stored for
reproduction. Is this information available in a notebook?

Aron Ahmadia writes:

 > Taking this thread into a slightly more general nature, I'm
 > interested in learning more about how the IPython front-end
 > Javascript obtains its information for populating cells. This
 > opens the door for connecting to other data back-ends without
 > necessarily creating a heavy-weight notebook.

Right, this could be the occasion to think about more general
approaches of using notebooks as interfaces for back-ends of various
kinds.

Konrad