[IPython-dev] ipcluster (LSF) timing (check if all engines are running)

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 10:28:38 EDT 2013

Something like this should work:

from IPython import parallel

def wait_for_cluster(engines=1, **kwargs):
    """Wait for an IPython cluster to startup and register a minimum number
of engines"""
    # wait for the controller to come up
    while True:
        try:
            client = parallel.Client(**kwargs)
        except IOError:
            print "No ipcontroller-client.json, waiting..."
            time.sleep(10)
        except TimeoutError:
            print "No controller, waiting..."
            time.sleep(10)
    if not engines:
        return
    # wait for engines to register
    print "waiting for %i engines" % engines,
    running = len(client)
    sys.stdout.write('.' * running)
    while running < engines:
        time.sleep(1)
        previous = running
        running = len(client)
        sys.stdout.write('.' * (running - previous))

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 6:34 AM, Florian M. Wagner <wagnerfl at student.ethz.ch