[IPython-dev] It is alive...

Damián Avila damianavila at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 01:00:47 EDT 2013

First of all, I want to congratulates to all the IPython developers for
achieving the release of 1.0!

OK... when I first developed the reveal exporter in the old nbconvert,
my last idea was to have a live version of a slideshow...

Just like the notebook but in a "presentation" mode...

At this time, I did not know enough about js... and now... neither...
but I give it a try, a learn a little, I ask for some help in the list
some day ago and now I come up with this prototype...

What I want to show you a proof of concept about a "live" implementation
of Reveal.js slideshow...

You can see a short demo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCb2HJy-yc0

Why develop a live version of Reveal if we have the live slidemode from
Matthias?

1) Because is fun!
2) Because I learn a lot in the process...
3) Because having Reveal (slides) exporter in the main IPython, it would
be great for the user to have the **same** slideshow but in live mode to
be interactive with the audience, and a static version to easily
distribute (or use when there is no need for an interactive talk).

I will probably reopen the IPEP about slideshows to rebirth the
discussion and to help me refine the code because it works... but I
think it is a too much hackish, like the first implementation of reveal
exporter in the old nbconvert, and there is lot of things to refine (and
decide) if we can get it inside IPython...

It would be great if we can arrive to something solid for the next 2.0
release... ;-) (I am not sure If the live slideshow implementation is
inside the current Roadmap... it was inside at least in some
discussions... I hope it is, because I think it is not only a nice but
also a very useful feature to have).

Saludos.

Damián.