[IPython-dev] idea "native" ipython notebook

Angus McMorland amcmorl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 11:01:42 EDT 2013

On 8 April 2013 10:19, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 April 2013 10:50, Jonathan Chambers <jon.chambers3001 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> So I have an idea: build a "native" ipython notebook app by using an
>> embedded browser. This technique has already been used to produce some
>> really nice apps - Adobe Brakets (http://brackets.io/), Light Table
>> (http://www.lighttable.com/), and TileMill (http://mapbox.com/tilemill).
>> These all use pretty much the same Chromium-based native app wrapper, a
>> HTML/JS UI, and Node.js to run some "server" style components.
>

> I'd be interested in something like this - the one thing I find a bit
> awkward about the notebook is that I can't easily use it like a regular
> desktop application, with shortcuts, associations with ipynb files, and so
> on.
>
> You could even look at making a kind of generic wrapper, so that
> applications written as web applications can easily be run locally. It
> wouldn't be entirely trivial, though: you'd need to think about things like
> inter-process communication, so if I double click a file, it can open in an
> existing instance.

Ubuntu's Unity has a webapp framework [1] that sounds like it provides
a few of these features:
 - clickable icons
 - opening in a separate window
 - menu and notification handler integration

Obviously this is only a solution for Ubuntu, but for anyone using it,
the development of an IPython webapp would allow for some nice bells
and whistles.

[1] http://www.webupd8.org/2012/09/unity-webapps-available-in-ubuntu-1210.html

> Good luck,
> Thomas