[IPython-dev] Changing configuration after running

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 15:31:41 EDT 2012

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Jason Grout <jason-sage at creativetrax.com>wrote:

> When I create a new profile, the default ipython_config.py file has
> these lines:
>
> # A list of dotted module names of IPython extensions to load.
> c.InteractiveShellApp.extensions = [ ]
>
> [snip...]
>
> # dotted module name of an IPython extension to load.
> # c.InteractiveShellApp.extra_extension = ''
>
> What is the difference between .extensions and .extra_extension?

extra_extension just exists to preserve the `--ext` command-line option, so
you can do:

ipython --ext cythonmagic

Where cythonmagic is *added* to the extensions list.

`extra_extension = 'cythonmagic'` is identical to
`extensions.append('cythonmagic')`

This is one case the current config system still doesn't support well:
adding to containers.