[IPython-dev] internationalisation and translation of ipython

Nicolas Pettiaux nicolas at pettiaux.be
Tue Sep 4 01:00:41 EDT 2012

2012/9/4 Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com>

> On 3 September 2012 23:06, Thomas Spura <tomspur at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

thanks Thomas S for you input.

> > I cannot remember a project, which splits the translations into
> > another repository off hand...
>
> maybe not split the translation, but distribute them separately. When they
are large, it is done. See kde, libreOffice, Gnome.

But I beleive that for ipython (menus, basic help ...) it will not be much
at all.

> I'm conscious that we recommend that people install IPython inside
> every virtualenv where they're using it, so we want the installation
> to be as quick and light as possible.

I think it will be. Everything can be automated as far as I know.

The .po and .mo file can both be distributed.

> The example from Maemo looks
> like it would recompile every .po file to .mo on installation, which I
> would prefer to avoid if practical.
>
> I suppose this can be avoided. Need to investigate.

Have a good day,

NP
--
Nicolas Pettiaux, dr. sc - gsm : +32 496 24 55 01
Lepacte.be - « promouvoir les libertés numériques en Belgique » - hetpact.be