[IPython-dev] SWC using IPython Notebook

Matt Davis jiffyclub at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 17:28:34 EDT 2012

Hi all,

Thank you for putting together this great tool! (I'll admit to being pretty
blasé on IPython until you came out with the Notebook.)  We've also got a
PyCon proposal in on the topic of teaching with Notebooks.

There is already a lot of communication between SWC and the IPython devs so
none of these requests are exactly news, but here are some things we'd like
for the teaching side:

- Integration with pythontutor.com
- A way for an instructor to make a notebook then strip out code for
distribution to students (so they can see our annotations but have to type
their own code).
- A way to put hints into Markdown cells, e.g. collapsed by default but
expandable if students want help.

I do pretty much all my in-person teaching with live typing but the slide
show abilities also look quite cool and I'm sure we'll put those to use too!

Thanks again for all your hard work! Hopefully one of these days I'll have
some time to give back.

Best,

Matt Davis