[IPython-dev] improve http://nbviewer.ipython.org/

Matthias BUSSONNIER bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 12:41:10 EST 2012

Le 26 nov. 2012 à 16:11, W Gong a écrit :

> as a new user, I like to learn from examples or best practices:
> To support a similar request by another new user Dennis,
>
> can someone :
> 1) add "http://nbviewer.ipython.org/" to Help menu
> 2) make user submitted .ipynb visible at nbviewer.ipython.org
> Currently this website is like a blackhole, you know what you submitted by yourself, but you cannot see submission by others (except just 3 all the times)
>
> By the way, who owns and maintains nbviewer.ipython.org?

Nbviewer is hosted on heroku, all dev should have the ability to push,
Fernando (and Brian ?) own the python.org domain name,
I am the one mainly push ing the updates on heroku.

> Currently this website is like a blackhole, you know what you submitted by yourself, but you cannot see submission by others (except just 3 all the times)

I tried to put a top 10 notebooks, but the free postgressql plan was filled up in 2 weeks, so I had to disable it.
I'm working on having auto-screenshot on the notebook on nbviewer to make a mosaic of popular notebook.

> 2) make user submitted .ipynb visible at nbviewer.ipython.org

This would make sense once we have a "publish to nbviewer" button in the notebook.
But in the nbviewer way, it does not make sense, nbviewer does not retain anything , the field to past a URL is a pure convenience.

You could generate the nbviewer link even if the file is not on the internet yet. Nbviewer fetch and render the link "live" when you open it.
Actually that what the bookmarklet and chrome extension does.

As Thomas point out, the repo is on github, but it is not up to date.
The reason is that nbviewer ships with a modified version of nbconvert, which is a pain to maintain in parallel.
So as long as nbviewer does not integrate nbconvert as is, I would prefer it not to be hacked or modified and focus the effort on nbconvert.

We'll still welcome pull request, but it often mean manual backporting. And I really need more time to document how to deploy on heroku or other.

--
Matthias