[IPython-dev] Extending the Notebook File Format

Carl Smith carl.input at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 19:55:55 EST 2012

Cheers Brian

I'm really interested in ways to share notebooks, so I appreciate you
taking the time to go over this. I'll keep the following points in
mind.

> * Everyone should already be putting their code+data on git/github or
> other version control systems.
> * These systems implement a nearly universal approach to sharing sets
> of files that scale from person-to-person to very large teams.
> * The default and recommended way of sharing in the notebook should be
> through git repos (or other VCSs)
> * We should build tools to encourage and support those usage patterns.
>  An example of this type of integration would be a button to publish a
> notebook to a gist.
> * We should not try to reinvent the wheel in this area.
> * This is consistent with ipython's notion of a notebook project,
> namely that it is just a regular directory on your file system.

This makes a lot of sense, and I can see why zipping directories isn't
going to work. I should have been thinking git from the start.

> Are there any usage cases that a git repo can't cover?

Nothing that zipping a directory might solve.

I'll give it some more thought. Thanks again.