[IPython-dev] Notebook diffing tool by Matthew

Matthias BUSSONNIER bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 06:45:47 EST 2012

Le 18 nov. 2012 à 12:15, Fernando Perez a écrit :

> Hi folks,
>
> Matthew just wrote up a notebook-diff tool.  Eventually we'll want
> this kind of capability nicely integrated into nbconvert, but in the
> meantime here it is:
>
> https://github.com/fperez/nipy-notebooks/blob/master/notebook_diff.py
>
> Does crude unified diff on notebooks after stripping output and input
> line numbers.  You've got to search through the text to see the bit to
> which the diff refers, but at least it gives an idea...

One thing that can be done is adding cell ID.
This help to do a per-cell diff (or find splitted/merged cells)
The advantage is that diff notebook is still a real ipynb file.
http://nbviewer.ipython.org/urls/raw.github.com/Carreau/ipython/58d78fce482cfc907e85de3e86850e8e448d94dd/docs/examples/notebooks/octave_diff.ipynb

(nbviewer does not render the cell correctly with the right color, added text should be green and removed red, without input prompt.)