[IPython-dev] A thought about nbconvert

David Warde-Farley d.warde.farley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 17:44:30 EST 2012

I just had an idea for a feature and wanted some feedback before I
implement it.

There's a pull request in the nbconvert queue to suppress certain content
types at export time. I was wondering if it would make sense to use the new
cell metadata mechanism to allow selective suppression of individual cells
at export time: either the input, the output, or both.

I guess my thought is that sometimes, you don't want to know how the
sausage is made; sometimes you just want the image and not the code to
generate it to be displayed in the tutorial/book/etc. Things like %pylab
inline don't necessarily add much to a printed document either. Of course,
if they  grab the ipython notebook format, that code will all be there.

Thoughts? Any preferences on key names, values, etc.?