[IPython-dev] Cython magics crashes test suite when cython not present

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu May 31 12:51:39 EDT 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 9:44 AM, MinRK <benjaminrk at gmail.com> wrote:

> It might be related to the fact that it's in the tests dir.  I don't think
> we've excluded a *test* file before, always real code / dirs.

Well, we do have these that exclude things like test_mongodb.py and
test_pylabtools.py:

    if not have['pymongo']:
        exclusions.append(ipjoin('parallel', 'controller', 'mongodb'))
        exclusions.append(ipjoin('parallel', 'tests', 'test_mongodb'))

    if not have['matplotlib']:
        exclusions.extend([ipjoin('core', 'pylabtools'),
                           ipjoin('core', 'tests', 'test_pylabtools'),
                           ipjoin('zmq', 'pylab'),

and those have worked so far.  I just confirmed that they work indeed
by running the test suite for IPython.core with a '1/0' in the
test_pylabtools.py file, and I get what I expect:

- in a venv that's missing matplotlib, the test_pylabtools is skipped
and thus the whole test suite passes cleanly.

- in my normal environment that finds matplotlib, that 1/0 makes it
blow up with an error as expected.

So the exclusion for a single test file does seem to work OK from this check...

Puzzled...