[IPython-dev] ipython notebook installation instructions

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Thu May 31 07:15:12 EDT 2012

On 31 May 2012 10:56, Ralf Hemmecke <hemmecke at gmail.com> wrote:
> In any case, are there some instructions to install the ipython notebook
> on debian 6 (including all the prerequisites)? In fact, I'd like to have
> some instructions that don't need 'root' access to this debian 6 system.
> Can I install it under virtualenv?

Yes, but it's a bit fiddly to get zeromq if you don't have root
access. The Shiningpanda test machines run Debian 6 without root
access. I built zeromq manually and installed it in /home/slave/local,
then the test run does this inside a virtualenv:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/home/slave/local/lib
export ZMQ_DIR=/home/slave/local
pip install nose coverage
pip install pyzmq
pip install readline

rm -rf build/
python setup.py install  # Install IPython

Best wishes,
Thomas