[IPython-dev] SVG figures status report

Zoltán Vörös zvoros at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 01:16:52 EDT 2012

On 06/27/2012 09:35 PM, Jason Grout wrote:
> On 6/27/12 10:09 AM, Michael Droettboom wrote:
>> With these easier things,
>> it's also less relevant whether we're using PNG or SVG (or remains a
>> user option).
> True; you can implement coordinate display and picking (via image maps)
> for png just as well as svg.
>
> Jason
Coordinate reporting can be done with some hacking, but for picking, one
needs access to the data. I have already suggested using PNGs in a
container with some javascript code, but that would give only coordinate
reporting, nothing more. You can perhaps put on cross-hairs, but grid
toggling would already be impossible. However, the advantage of this
approach would be that it would not bring up bandwidth issues. If
coordinate reporting and cross-hairs are enough, then I would suggest
that we insert this in the zmq backend, though, I feel that it would
fall short of many people's expectations...

Cheers,
Zoltán