[IPython-dev] SockJS

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 17:51:47 EDT 2012

We are aware of these alternatives.  My philosophy (and I think it is
reflected in the rest of the team) is this:  by sticking with plain
old WebSockets, all we have to do is *wait* for the situation to
improve.  That is super easy to do!  Once IE 10 comes out, we should
cover most browsers.  If we go another route, *we* have to do all the
work, and in the end, we will throw that work away because WebSockets
will eventually have universal support.  That sounds like extremely
low priority work to me.

People should not be running older browsers anyways.  There is simply
no reason, you almost have to try hard to run an older browser.

The main area where I find WebSockets to be lacking is in the
proxy/load balancer support.  As far as I know, Apache and nginx don't
support WebSocket proxying, but HAproxy does.  I don't think the load
balancers on Rackspace or AWS do.  But *today* these things are not
show stoppers for the notebook.  As the notebook is run in different
contexts we will have to explore this space further.  But again,
waiting is golden.

Cheers,

Brian