[IPython-dev] Debian freeze date set to June 30th, we *might* pull off a release...

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 21:16:30 EDT 2012

Hi folks,

the freeze date for Debian was announced as officially being set to June 30th.

We haven't really had any negative (though no positive either)
feedback from the beta, so the question is whether to try and cut an
RC1 this weekend (Monday at the latest) and try to meet the freeze
date.  It would be nice to have 0.13 in the next Debian by default,
and it would also put us in a good position to use it at SciPy'2012.

Right now we only have one issue that I marked as blocker today mostly
because it was very recently introduced and it's really ugly:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/2005

It's a really annoying bug in Courier New that Bob McElrath has been
valiantly fighting with and which keeps on giving us trouble.  But I
think we can find a sensible approach for it in time for the release,
so I'm not too worried.

Then there's the PRs we have open, where we should continue to
carefully triage and merge the important/polish stuff that's low risk
and stay away from anything high risk.

What do people think?  I do have some time I can devote to this next
week, and given that Thomas has already started helping out with the
release notes and website, I think it's possible.

At the same time, we won't rush the release: I'd rather miss the
freeze date than ship with nasty brokenness, so nobody should read
this as a 'release or death' message.  I'm just suggesting we *try* to
make it.