[IPython-dev] Namespace pollution and a kernel panel

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 21:32:18 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Bob McElrath <bob+ipython at mcelrath.org>wrote:

> Dumb question...but how?
>
> In any case I'm going to stop using --pylab, and use '%pylab inline'
> instead.
> The former makes the notebook not standalone -- it's dependent on whomever
> send it to knowing to start ipython with the --pylab option.

Yes, this was an artifact of the fact that the %pylab magic didn't
initially work in the kernel, which has since been fixed.

Among other things, PR 1954
<https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/1954> removes
any recommendation for starting with `--pylab` from the example notebooks,
because it's really not the best way to do it.