[IPython-dev] Bug in our magic_arguments decorator for building docstrings (ping R. Kern)?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 17:00:51 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> We probably want to use the RawDescriptionHelpFormatter:
>
>   http://docs.python.org/library/argparse#argparse.RawDescriptionHelpFormatter
>
> Or a custom implementation that removes the leading indentation but otherwise
> leaves the line breaks and indents alone.
>
> Sorry for not noticing that earlier. All of my magics had single-line
> descriptions. :-)

Great, thanks for tracking down at least a path to a solution.

If anyone has the bandwidth to whip out a fix for this, we'd be very
very grateful.  Right now the docs for any magic with more than one
line docstring that uses the argparse decorators is completely
unreadable, so the karma-to-effort ratio of this one is huge.