[IPython-dev] Fwd: notebook plots via javascript

Ludwig Schwardt ludwig.schwardt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 07:08:09 EDT 2012

Hi Zoltán,

You might find the mplh5canvas backend (
http://code.google.com/p/mplh5canvas/) interesting. It is a JS backend for
matplotlib built around the HTML5 Canvas and WebSocket elements that
produces plots that compare well with those of other backends and also does
basic zooming and resizing. This backend has been around since matplotlib
1.0 and is independent of IPython.

We've also achieved basic integration with the IPython notebook a few
months ago (as witnessed by Stéfan :-)), but that was before the latest JS
refactoring which should simplify things a lot.

I would love to hear any comments you might have, now that you have been
down a similar path.

Regards,
Ludwig