[IPython-dev] migration issues, embedding latest IPython in another application

Matt Anderson manderso at broadcom.com
Tue Jul 24 10:36:26 EDT 2012

The flag may still be undocumented, and in my reading it does seem dangerous to actually, concurrently, use the sqlite3 db object in multiple threads (I believe a stackoverflow Q/A thread discussed some form of database corruption).  However, in the case of the originating thread having having exited and the main thread running the at-exit handlers, I believe that it would probably be safe.

I totally agree that given an undocumented, possibly dangerous, sqlite3 feature, IPython should not use this argument by default when opening data base connections.  However, it would be really useful, in cases like mine, to enable this type of database connection by  configuration, rather than needing to do multiple subclassings and re-writing of core functions.  I don't know how stable the APIs of the ipython shell or the HistoryManager are, but if they're not totally stable, subclassing in the way that would be necessary doesn't seem *much* safer than monkey patching the IPython.core.history module.

Alternatively, maybe there is some other way to shut down the database connection, at thread shutdown time instead of at program shutdown time?  Either automatically (by a per-thread equivalent of the program-wide at-exit system, if such a thing does or could exist). Or maybe by hook (ie, a way to turn the at-exit registration off, and provide some method on the interactive shell that could be called in the that would shut down the database connection safely from the correct thread, delegating responsibility to the programmer embedding the shell to do the shutdown correctly).  Or possibly, at the end of the interactive shell REPL loop, just before control is passed back to the main program (in the case of the embedded shell)?

Just a couple of thoughts.

Thanks,
Matt