[IPython-dev] Ace versus CodeMirror

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 18:18:03 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 3:12 PM, John Fawcett <fawce at quantopian.com> wrote:
> there is some precedence for the idea of using modes to enhance
> concentration -
> in creative writing circles there is a lot of hand-wringing about technology
> being distracting, so there are a few editors that  use minimalism to
> enhance concentration on the words. a great
> example: http://www.iawriter.com/

Yup, I know: my favorite writing tool is LyX, and for a while it's
also a full-screen mode where it hides even all of its menus and
toolbars, so you focus on the writing and nothing else.

And I have nothing against such ideas, actually, as I do think the
constant UI information side channels can have a negative impact in
workflow.  But I think we have much more pressing concerns in ipython
right now, that's all.  Once much more critical pieces are working
well, we can look into such luxuries :)