[IPython-dev] Ace versus CodeMirror

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 21:00:49 EST 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Fernando, if we can fix these things, are you open to using CodeMirror
> always?  Would you still want the ability to do the full-window-like
> editing mode?

Totally!  I think development simplicity is priority #1 for now, and
there is a high cost to having two separate editors.  If CM can do the
whole job, that's great.  We can always later consider offering a tab,
*also with CM*, for editing local .py files through the browser.

I only liked the Ace approach b/c it worked around problems I was
having with CM, but I'd much rather depend on just one editor than
two, as handling two is extra complexity/work for us.