[IPython-dev] Force-pushed

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 21:48:17 EST 2012

Hello,

A bad commit snuck into IPython master that had to be removed,
requiring a rebase and force push.  So if you have been tracking
IPython master, your next update may require something more forceful
than `git pull`.  If your git pull fails, the two-step 'force pull'
is:

    git fetch origin
    git reset origin/master --hard

assuming you have the IPython repo stored as 'origin', change as appropriate.

PRs issued since the bad commit (on 01/12) will need to be rebased as
well.  Since the HEAD of code is unchanged, this should be
straightforward.  Simply

   git rebase -i

and delete all the commits that aren't yours, then force push (`git
push -f` and you should be set.  I just did mine (#1283), and the only
erroneous commits listed were:

    pick 813d390 Initial work to add Wijmo based menu.
    pick e075f09 Removing old directory.

(The troublesome commit and its fix, which were squashed together)

I removed these, pushed my rebased branch, and now my PR looks clean as can be.

PRs that need a rebase:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/1284 (Paul Ivanov)
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/1278 (hhuuggoo)
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/1264 (Brian)