[IPython-dev] [sage-notebook] Re: Using Google App Engine channels instead of zmq in new IPython

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 18:22:07 EST 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 15:08, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Jason Grout
> <jason-sage at creativetrax.com> wrote:
> >
> > Those are some very nice diagrams!
>
> Indeed, all the credit goes to Min.
>
> > Thanks for the feedback.  We already have a websocket<->zmq bridge,
> right?
> >  I think now that GAE channels could basically replace the websocket
> > portion.  I assume that would be much easier?

Yes, that would be much simpler, and the websocket:zmq layer is *extremely*
simple, as should a similar translation to any other messaging system.

>  So the basic architecture
> > would be:
> >
> > browser <-GAE channel-> Sage server on GAE <-GAE channel-> (bridge
> <-ZMQ->
> > IPython kernel)
> >
> > where the part in parentheses would be the worker running on a compute
> > server, and the shim is the bridge between GAE channels and zmq.  Does
> that
> > seem more reasonable?  What does the architecture of your websocket
> bridge
> > look like?
>
> That's the part we use tornado for, so indeed if you wanted to go this
> route but run on GAE instead, you could replace our tornado-using code
> as indicated in your ascii-diagram above.  The code that does this is
> mostly in the various modules here:
>

> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/tree/master/IPython/frontend/html/notebook
>
> That directory is the only part of IPython that uses tornado, which is
> effectively what you're talking about replacing.

True, but the architecture differs in that what is currently the
tornado-based NotebookApp covers everything from the browser to the zmq
side of the gae:zmq bridge.  So there would have to be some work
duplication/proxying for the KernelManagers, which talk zmq to the kernels,
and would be separated from server code by an additional GAE layer in this
pattern.