[IPython-dev] using the notebook for teaching?

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 19:56:17 EST 2012

On 6 December 2012 00:32, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't recall this discussion about the notebook format and am
> unaware that we made any such promise.  Do you have a link to the
> discussion?  I neither oppose nor approve of the decision (I haven't
> thought enough about it) at this point, I am just unaware of it and
> want to learn more.

I'm not sure that it was exactly a promise, but when we were deciding
whether or not the notebook should be specified as part of the core Scipy
Stack, the question of stability came up. The compatibility break that we
had from 0.12 to 0.13 was putting some people off including it, but we
clearly didn't want to commit to infinite forwards compatibility. I
suggested the compromise of a transition period, which all sides seemed
happy with.

Put another way, any two consecutive major versions of IPython should allow
interchanging notebook files without any special precautions. I think
that's a realistic target to aim for.

As for a link, sorry, I don't have a direct one. I think it was somewhere
in this monster thread on scipy-user (
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.scientific.user/32620 ), but it
could also have been on the numfocus list. Fernando was there arguing
IPython's corner.

Thanks,
Thomas