[IPython-dev] running Terminal app with --pylab option by default.

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 20:09:40 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer at gmail.com> wrote:

> And to clarify, we don't want to import Numpy and all that other
> stuff. We just want to enable non-blocking plotting.

`--pylab` invokes the following method:

shell.enable_pylab(import_all=False) # import_all=True is the default, with
all of the imports

So the steps would be:

from IPython.frontend.terminal.ipapp import TerminalIPythonApp
# setup the app
app = TerminalIPythonApp.instance()
app.initialize(argv)

# enable pylab hookups
app.shell.enable_pylab(import_all=False)

# start the app
app.start()