[IPython-dev] High-quality pdf output (pdflatex) directly from notebooks

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 04:25:19 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 1:19 AM, Jason Chin <cschin at infoecho.net> wrote:
> Look great.(even on a phone)
> Congratulate! any dependence? Latex?

Thanks!  Yes, sorry that I forgot to list the dependencies:

- latex: unavoidable, since this is after all to produce pdflatex-based PDF :)

- pandoc: unavoidable, needed to convert markdown to latex (we're not
about to reinvent that)

- inkscape: completely avoidable on OSX.  that's what I'm using to
convert svg figures to pdf.  I just didn't know off-hand what
command-line utility would do that on OSX; once someone tells me what
the syntax should be to get svg -> pdf on OSX, removing the inkscape
dependency is a trivial 2-minute fix.

So on linux, this is just an apt-get away, on OSX it should be easy
once I know what svg2pdf tool to call.  On Windows, no clue if pandoc
and inkscape can be installed (on windows it will also likely be slow
as hell, as I open many subprocesses and subprocess creation on
windows is absurdly slow).