[IPython-dev] notebook questions

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 18:50:52 EDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:

> I am a bit saddened that you call this a cheap shot. I am giving a user's
> point of view that differs from your developper's point of view, but is
> definitely a point of view many people will have.

The problem is that you said we were making the wrong choice and
ignoring standards.  When we've made it abundantly clear that we
*want* to support reST, and we *will* support reST/sphinx, and we know
about it, but it's so complex to do that we didn't have the manpower
to do it *initially*.  You accuse us of ignoring standards and making
the wrong choices when we've explicitly said we're simply doing first
what we can do *given the limited manpower we have*, and how we plan
to tackle the harder reST problem as our resources allow.

So yes, ignoring the real-world constraints we have and that you are
well aware of, and claiming we're making invalid choices that ignore
standards and user experience instead, is a cheap shot.