[IPython-dev] Help needed: stumped by odd MANIFEST.in/distutils behavior

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 16:51:08 EDT 2011

Hi folks,

I was doing some build tests, and since I have mathjax in my local
tree, it's getting included by default in the tree.  Fair enough, I
thought: just add a prune rule to the MANIFEST.in file, and it's all
good.  But for the life of me, I can't get anything to work in there,
it looks like on my system, the manifest.in file is just getting
ignored!  The relevant section reads:

graft IPython
prune IPython/deathrow
prune IPython/frontend/html/notebook/static/mathjax

but that mathjax directory is still getting copied over to the build
dir when running `setup.py build`.  Furthermore, I don't even see a
MANIFEST file be generated at all anymore, which I don't understand.

>From reading the official docs:

http://docs.python.org/distutils/sourcedist.html#manifest-related-options

I don't understand at all why there's no manifest file being created,
or why the manifest.in rules are being ignored.

This is the behavior I'm seeing on ubuntu 10.10 and 11.10 boxes, both
with python 2.6 and 2.7...

We need to understand this one, because ignoring the various rules in
the manifest.in will make the downloads unnecessarily large...

I'm pretty stumped, so any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Cheers