[IPython-dev] Thoughts on the notebook format for version control

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 23:59:09 EDT 2011

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Mark Voorhies <mark.voorhies at ucsf.edu> wrote:
> A complimentary idea would be to provide utility scripts for converting
> (unified notebook) <-> (inputs), (outputs)
> outside of an IPython session.
>
> These could be used by VC hooks (e.g., to strip or split outputs before
> committing or to strip outputs before diff-ing).

That would certainly be nice if one is committing outputs as well for
reproducibility purposes.  Though in that scenario, simply committing
both the nb and the output cache file would likely give the same
benefits, as one could simply instruct git to treat the caches as
binary always.

But more generally, we do want good command-line support for all
notebook-related actions.