[IPython-dev] Thoughts on the notebook format for version control

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 22:15:09 EDT 2011

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are basically two changes against what we have now:

Actually there's a third, though much more minor.  If you look at the diff

https://github.com/fperez/nipy-notebooks/pull/1/files

you can see that basically every cell is marked with changes, but only
because the order of the json dict fields changed.  I'm not sure where
that change is coming from, but it probably means we're also going to
have to ensure that fields are always ordered in some canonical form
(alphabetical sorting would be fine).  Otherwise every single commit
would generate a giant diff as all cells appear to change from field
ordering, even if there isn't any actual content change.

But this should be much easier to deal with, since ordering the fields
doesn't change the json data structure in any way, it's just a slight
annoyance to have to do custom writing ourselves instead of letting
the json serializer blindly write things out.