[IPython-dev] Qt console unusable, any ideas?

Mark Voorhies mark.voorhies at ucsf.edu
Fri Nov 4 17:05:50 EDT 2011

On Friday, November 04, 2011 11:45:20 am Fernando Perez wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 11:44 AM, MinRK <benjaminrk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Okay, good to know.  Gtk does seem slower to me, but not as slow as it
> > sounds like you are experiencing.  Are you using apt matplotlib, or git?
>
> git mpl, last checkout from Oct 13.  Let me rebuild mpl to see if the
> problem persists.

I'm not sure if I can reproduce this.

If I set 'backend: GTK' in ~/.matplotlib/matplotlibrc
and launch "ipython qtconsole --pylab"
then matplotlib.pyplot.get_backend() reports "GTKAgg".

In this configuration I am getting the dead kernel dialog,
but not in a predictable way (e.g., sometimes it is enough
to import matplotlib.pyplot and try to call get_backend,
sometimes I need to do a bit of real work before seeing
the message).

The problem doesn't appear to repeat with my default (TkAgg backend)
configuration.

I've been using the TkAgg backend with the qtconsole for my day-to-day
work for the last few weeks without seeing the dead kernel dialog or
noticing slow response.

Configuration:
Ubuntu 10.04 32bit
ipython baf566fa94e3be8c383fab4a4c628c2c08e5797e (just pulled from master)
matplotlib from apt (0.99.1.2-3ubuntu1)

--Mark