[IPython-dev] wxPython console

Emmanuel Bacry emmanuel.bacry at polytechnique.fr
Thu Nov 3 06:31:27 EDT 2011

Ilan Schnell wrote:

> As far as I know, no.  Although, given the new infrastructure,
> one could write a wxPython console (or in fact any type of
> console) which connects to the IPython kernel.
>
> - Ilan
>

> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Piotr Zolnierczuk
> <piotr.zolnierczuk at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just saw Fernando's talk @scipy2011 I was wondering if there are any
>> plans
>> to support a wxPython console?
>> Piotr
>> --
>>
>> Piotr Adam Zolnierczuk
>> e-mail: piotr at zolnierczuk.net
>> www:   http://www.zolnierczuk.net

Could you just give me some hints on how you would do that ? I'm kind of new
on python/ipython. Very impressed by ipython and I would like to embed it in
a wx console.

Let's say I have a wx console widget ready, the wx main loop is running.
Now I want to have a ipython shell object available, with stdin and stdout
redirected,
so that I can send to it input and get from it the output.

- What is the class of such an object ? Is it InteractiveShellEmbed ? Isn't
it just for "interactive" shell?

- Can I make it non blocking ? (using thread each time I send input to it?)

An a last but quite different question :

- Would I be able to use matplotlib through it ? I kind of understood there
is a way matplot lib uses a wx main_loop already running right ?

Thank you very much.

And please .. apologize if some questions are naive ...

Emmanuel