[IPython-dev] Connection info for qtconsole kernels

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 23:18:58 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 19:45, Erik Tollerud <erik.tollerud at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just noticed that on the current master, the message indicating the
> connection details needed to use "--existing" are no longer printed
> when an ipython qtconsole is started, but instead prints the kernel
> pid.  Is this intentional?  Is there some way to output that
> information when the first qtconsole is started, or retrieve it if I
> know the kernel pid?  It seems to defeat the point of the --existing
> option if it's impossible to get the information needed to make the
> connection.

I noticed this too, and actually fixed it a few hours ago in
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/commit/cc9aebe90611bde507fa6cf7206a4afda421179b

> I know "--debug" includes the information, but printing all the debug
> information to be able to connect a second console seems
> confusing/difficult. (Oh, and the debug line says "--external
> shell=##### iopub=##### stdin=##### hb=#####", which I think is
> supposed to be "--existing shell=##### iopub=##### stdin=#####
> hb=#####" - I can submit a bug report on that if desired, although it
> seems pretty trivial)
>

> On a related note, with the newapp configuration system is there any
> way to connect to an already-existing kernel via a terminal-based
> frontend, or is qtconsole currently the only way to do this?

There are plans for other two-process frontends, but there is not yet
a working terminal version.  Currently there is only the QtConsole in
master, and the html notebook is in a branch.

-MinRK