[IPython-dev] Website - static files?

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 20:58:32 EDT 2011

On 11 June 2011 01:37, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> The reason we added that was precisely because we were having to spend
> way too much time reverting stuff.  But the version of Moin on
> scipy.org had no captcha, only registration.

Then this is a failure in the software. Newer versions of Moin seem to be
able to have CAPTCHAs, and there various other things you can do about spam:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Combating_spam

> I don't know where in that continuum of zero-to-infinite spam a
> captcha system would put us.  Honestly, it doesn't seem to me that
> asking people to send a single email for human authorization is a huge
> burden that is really causing us to lose us a lot of contributors, and
> it does cut *completely* the spam problem.  But perhaps it is causing
> them to go away...

It's not so much that it's a burden. It's just that when you see a paragraph
that's out of date, or a broken link, or whatever, and you can click edit
and fix it immediately, people do (some people, anyway). If you've got to
set up an account, then get someone to give you edit permission...never
mind, there's better things to be getting on with. It's for a similar reason
that I advocate using an existing, popular site like Github. If I have to
register for a new account, or spend two minutes guessing which password I
chose for this site two years ago, the chances that I will bother decay
exponentially with the time I expect it to take.

Maybe this is a solution, if we have a ruby-capable server somewhere: have a
github wiki mirrored somewhere else, so we can link to it (read-only)
without the github branding.
http://smeagolrb.info/

Thomas