[IPython-dev] experimental ipython 0.11rc1 debian/ubuntu package

Julian Taylor jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 7 19:05:26 EDT 2011

Hi,
I have just uploaded the first revision of the ipython 0.11rc1 debian
package to my ppa:
https://launchpad.net/~jtaylor/+archive/ipython-dev
It is based on the 0.11rc1 snapshot from github with a few patches to
fix the testsuite (from git) and better debian integration.

To install after typing following into a terminal:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:jtaylor/ipython-dev
sudo apt-get update
The ppa also contains newer versions of zeromq mirrored from debian so
you should have the full functionality of ipython available.

Currently it is only available for ubuntu 11.04 natty but it should also
run in oneiric 11.10 and debian testing but you may need to rebuild it [0].
I plan on doing an upload to debian experimental in the near future.

The packaging has changed quite a bit. The main difference is the
splitting into four sub package to reduce the install size and necessary
dependencies:
ipython - the shell
ipython-qtconsole - the new qtconsole
ipython-parallel - parallel processing code
ipython-doc - documentation

I would be grateful if you could test the packages and report any
problems or possible enhancements.
To report bugs either write me an email or use the launchpad or debian
bug trackers, but please indicate which version and which os you are using.

known issues:
 - ipythonX.Y qtconsole does not work
 - some missing and outdated manpages (patches welcome)
 - most reverse dependencies with embedded shells are broken [1]
   *if you rely on them work, do not install this package!*
   I'd appreciate any patches getting these to work again.
 - no desktop integration for qtconsole (including no unity launcher icon)
 - parallel testsuite fails randomly, probably some memory corruption

future plans:
ipython 0.11 will probably not make it into the next ubuntu version
11.10 but I plan on getting it into 12.04 and debian wheezy.
I'm not really sure how to transition from 0.10 yet, due to the very
large api breakage.
The current packaging does not allow parallel installation with 0.10.
Probably the package will be renamed to ipython0.11 and conflict with
all that is broken.

[0]
To build the package yourself, which might be necessary to use it in
debian or older ubuntu version, do the following:
sudo apt-get install devscripts equivs
dget -ux
https://launchpad.net/~jtaylor/+archive/ipython-dev/+files/ipython_0.11~rc1-0%2Bppa1~exp2.dsc
cd ipython-0.11~rc1/
sudo mk-build-dep -i -r
debuild -us -uc
ls -ltr ../*deb
# install the deb's e.g. with gdebi

to remove the build-deps again: sudo apt-get autoremove ipython-build-deps

[1] accerciser, exaile, griffith, mayavi2, pyqonsole, python-matplotlib,
 python-netaddr, python-nipype, python-polybori, python-pudb,
python-pylons, python-scrapy, python-sugar-0.88, python-sugar-0.90,
python-sympy, python-tg.devtools, python-werkzeug, rabbitvcs-core,
science-numericalcomputation, snimpy

Best Regards,
Julian Taylor - debian/ubuntu ipython maintainer