[IPython-dev] gh-pages problem...

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 04:16:50 EST 2011

-MinRK

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 00:54, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 8:56 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > - see if we can do a full purge of that data from the repo (I think
> > the added size is ~6MB right now) with git's filter-branch tool
> > (http://help.github.com/removing-sensitive-data has some tips).
>
> Dumb question - but doesn't the git content get purged automatically
> if you delete the references to it?

Git is generally quite conservative about preserving data, at least for a
while.

> I mean, can't you just delete the 'gh-pages' branch and wait for the
> content to fall out?
>
> Or do ``git branch -D gh-pages && git gc --prune="Jan 24 2011"`` if
> you want to lose it straightaway?

That will delete it locally, but it will have exactly no effect on the repo
on GitHub or anybody else.  To delete a remote branch, you do:

git push origin :gh-pages

which does trigger garbage collection, but we have no access to arguments
passed to gc and prune on the remote repo, so it will likely have no
immediate effect on the size of the repo.