[IPython-dev] IPython on Python 3 - script names

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 07:39:17 EST 2011

Hi all,

The target for IPython on Python 3 is that you'll be able to install it side
by side with standard IPython, on systems where both Python 2 and Python 3
are installed. At present, the IPython packages will be correctly installed
to separate library folders, but the scripts (sitting in /usr/bin or
equivalent) will collide. So I'd like to come up with a consistent way to
name the scripts so that they're clearly distinguished.

At present, I'm thinking of something like:
ipython-3k
ipython-3k-qtconsole

This keeps it short, but hopefully makes it clear that it's not IPython
version 3 (a problem with, say, 'ipython3'). On the other hand, it does lead
to some conflicts for tab completion: with both versions installed,
ipython-<tab> will turn up two of every frontend available (-qtconsole,
-3k-qtconsole), plus -3k.

Does anyone have any thoughts or preferences?

Thanks,
Thomas