[IPython-dev] ipython-qtconsole and docstrings

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 13:24:47 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:03, Evan Patterson <epatters at enthought.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:19 AM, MinRK <benjaminrk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 06:59, Darren Dale <dsdale24 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > This morning I updated my zmq/pyzmq and tried running
>> > ipython-qtconsole from the master branch. I had let my zeromq
>> > installation get behind ipython development, and so I'm rediscovering
>> > how awesome is the qtconsole. Having docstrings pop up at "(" is
>> > great. I noticed though, that depending on the location of the mouse
>> > pointer, the docstring may only briefly appear. It seems more likely
>> > to occur if the pointer is located inside the region where the
>> > docstring will be rendered. I'm running "ipython-qtconsole --pylab" on
>> > a Snow Leopard machine, with native (not X-based) Qt provided by
>> > MacPorts. Has anyone else noticed something similar?
>>
>> Yes, this is my experience, also on OSX 10.6.6, with native PyQt from
>> their website.  The behavior is inconsistent, but seems more likely if
>> the cursor is hovering over the popup, and also more likely if the
>> popup is large.
>
> This is not so much bug as it is a (mis)feature in the call tip
> implementation.
>
> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/master/IPython/frontend/qt/console/call_tip_widget.py
>
> The call tip autohides after a little if the mouse cursor is outside both
> the console window and the tooltip frame. I did this because I thought it
> was uncouth for an application to leave a (potentially very large) tooltip
> up when the mouse was elsewhere. However, this is clearly a usability issue.
> Perhaps a better solution would be to autohide the tooltip only if the
> console window loses focus in the window manager?

Thanks for the clarification, and that makes sense as a design, but
the bug is that this is not the observed behavior.  The calltip is
incorrectly dismissing itself when the cursor is within the tooltip
frame at the time of pop-up.

Based on a cursory insertion of 'print' statements, there is a surplus
of 'Leave' events triggered, which results in the calltip being
inappropriately dismissed while the cursor is over it.

-MinRK