[IPython-dev] IPython on PyPy

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 15:03:12 EDT 2011

Hey Thomas,

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:

> We're looking at getting IPython running on PyPy, and readline doesn't
> appear to be working (tab completion, going through history, etc.). I see
> PyPy uses a readline module based on PyRepl. What's the status of this? Do
> we need to use the API differently? Do we need to help flesh out the
> implementation?

though for me, at least *some* parts of readline do work with 0.10.2.
I've tested with pypy1.6 on a 0.10.2 virtualenv, and I get reasonable
tab completion and arrows/cursor handling.  History reverse search
with Ctrl-r also works, though not the more basic up-arrow behavior we
also enable.

Just some more data.