[IPython-dev] (slightly OT) tags vs. branches

David Warde-Farley wardefar at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Aug 17 02:38:57 EDT 2011

On 2011-08-17, at 2:03 AM, Aaron Meurer wrote:

> I see.  In SymPy, literally everything goes through review, even small
> changes.  This definitely has a positive effect on the resulting code,
> though I should note that one negative side effect is that a lot of
> branches sit around unreviewed for a long time.  This situation has
> gotten much better with pull requests, and especially since they added
> the "Merge" button, but it's still a problem.  So I would evaluate any
> reviewing policy not only against a potential gain in code quality but
> also against your reviewing manpower.

It definitely has a seductive appeal, the "review every single character" strategy, but yes, I'm not entirely sure we have enough eyes for it ourselves. I'm glad that SymPy does it, though, and may offer my axe in that battle in some crazy version of the future where I have the time to learn the SymPy code base well enough. :)

David