[IPython-dev] [matplotlib-devel] IPython (new) + matplotlib report: happy news

Benjamin Root ben.root at ou.edu
Tue Sep 14 21:01:58 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 12:39 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Benjamin Root <ben.root at ou.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Why not have an examples module that contains function calls to each
> > example?  On the website, we can show the source code, but also say that
> one
> > could just do:

> The idea is to have the *actual code* pasted in your terminal, because
> now we can easily edit complex multi-line examples directly in
> ipython.  So it's not just a matter of seeing the figure results, but
> mostly of having the actual source in your input buffer to play with.
>
> Cheers,

True... but, consider this.  ipython can already display the code for a
particular module/function using the '??' idiom.  Why not have some way to
take that text and bring it into the input buffer?

I can imagine this being useful beyond matplotlib where anybody could have
their example codes easily accessed and edited.

Ben Root