[IPython-dev] ZMQ Parallel IPython Performance preview

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 16:11:29 EDT 2010

Re-run for throughput with data:

submit 16 tasks of a given size, plot against size.
new-style:
def echo(a):
    return a
old-style:
task = StringTask("b=a", push=dict(a=a), pull=['b'])

The input chosen was random numpy arrays (64b float, so len(A)/8 ~= size in
B).

Notable points:
* ZMQ submission remains flat, independent of size, due to non-copying sends
* size doesn't come into account until ~100kB, and clearly dominates both
after 1MB
    the turning point for Twisted is a little earlier than for ZMQ
* at 4MB, Twisted is submitting < 2 tasks per sec, while ZMQ is submitting
~90
* roundtrip, ZMQ is fairly consistently ~40x faster.

memory usage:
* Peak memory for the engines is 20% higher with ZMQ, because more than one
task can now be waiting in the queue on the engine at a time.
* Peak memory for the Controller including schedulers is 25% less than
Twisted with pure ZMQ, and 20% less with the Python scheduler. Note that all
results still reside in memory, since I haven't implemented the db backend
yet.
* Peak memory for the Python scheduler is approximately the same as the
engines
* Peak memory for the zmq scheduler is about half that.

-MinRK

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 09:52, MinRK <benjaminrk at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll get on the new tests, I already have a bandwidth one written, so I'm
> running it now.  As for Twisted's throughput performance, it's at least
> partly our fault.  Since the receiving is in Python, every time we try to
> send there are incoming results getting in the way.  If we wrote it such
> that sending prevented the receipt of results, I'm sure the Twisted code
> would be faster for large numbers of messages.  With ZMQ, though, we don't
> have to be receiving in Python to get the results to the client process, so
> they arrive in ZMQ and await simple memcpy/deserialization.
>
> -MinRK
>

> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 09:27, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Min,
>>
>> Also, can you get memory consumption numbers for the controller and
>> queues.  I want to see how much worse Twisted is in that respect.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:53 PM, MinRK <benjaminrk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have my first performance numbers for throughput with the new parallel
>>> code riding on ZeroMQ, and results are fairly promising.  Roundtrip time for
>>> ~512 tiny tasks submitted as fast as they can is ~100x faster than with
>>> Twisted.
>>>
>>> As a throughput test, I submitted a flood of many very small tasks that
>>> should take ~no time:
>>> new-style:
>>> def wait(t=0):
>>>     import time
>>>     time.sleep(t)
>>> submit:
>>> client.apply(wait, args=(t,))
>>>
>>> Twisted:
>>> task = StringTask("import time; time.sleep(%f)"%t)
>>> submit: