[IPython-dev] remote interactive shell using JSON RPC

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Thu Oct 28 18:06:36 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Ondrej Certik <ondrej at certik.cz> wrote:
>>

>> This is communicating with our online lab using JSON RPC, and the
>> Python engine is running within femhub, so all packages that are
>> installed in FEMhub are accesible (matplotlib, sympy, ...).
>>

> Very nice, and so is the online version.  I see you've had fun with
> extjs :)  Great job!
>
> Have you guys specced out your json protocol?  We've tried to keep our
> protocol spec up always:
>
> http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/nightly/html/development/messaging.html
>
> hoping that it would help cross-project communication...

At the moment, since we were all too busy, our only specification is
the implementation -- but we use JSON RPC, so the specification of
that is online (http://json-rpc.org/) and we just need to specify the
methods + parameters, and those are currently in our sourcecodes.

Well, since I wrote my email above, I also wrote another
implementation of the API, that runs on the google app engine:

http://engine.sympy.org/

and there you can see, that I am using the exact same script
(ifemhub), only this time it communicates with a different server...

Ondrej