[IPython-dev] Shutdown __del__ methods bug

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 04:08:34 EDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, this commit appears to have undone Fernando's fix for the bug
> with __del__ methods that I found:
> http://github.com/ipython/ipython/commit/239d2ed6f44c3f6511ee1e9069a5a1aee9c20f9c
>
> I can reproduce the bug in trunk. This also highlights that the doctest to
> catch it evidently doesn't do so. Running iptest IPython.core shows the
> error message on the console (among the ... of passed tests), but it doesn't
> fail. I'm not a console ninja, but could it be that the message goes to
> stderr, and the evaluation only checks stdout?

Thomas, thanks a lot for this fix, I've merged it since it was a total
no-brainer.  Great detective work on finding where it got reverted,
but I'm quite bothered by that having happened: do you have any idea
why that commit would have reverted those changes?  That commit:

http://github.com/ipython/ipython/commit/239d2ed6f44c3f6511ee1e9069a5a1aee9c20f9c

appears as a simple merge commit, but its diff is gigantic (the entire
merge).  I don't understand why the merge Min did reverted that
particular change.

And I am actually *very* worried that there might have been other
damage done in that commit that we didn't catch simply because it
didn't trigger any test failure...

Any thoughts?  I really don't want to leave dangling the notion that
we might have had a commit that undid a lot of other stuff we thought
was already in there...  I really have no idea what happened here, any
clarity will be welcome.